Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Deadened horns

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I found a roll of black rubber sealing tape that has a slick paper backing and the rubber is about 3/16" thick. I put it on the outside of one horn and reinstalled the horn and A-B'ed them with several different types of music and the horn has been tamed. It's still plenty bright if you remove all attenuation but not shrill like before. So I did the other one and like the results. It shouldn't be too hard to remove that stuff if I decide later I don't like it. It sure cuts down on listener fatigue. I also noticed that my new Aerosmith CD "Honkin on Bobo" is engineered to the max. It sounds awful unless you are at least 10' from the speakers. It doesn't sound bad at all in my pickup forums I wonder why the recording studios feel the need to run the CD's right up on the ragged edge like that?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Mike,

    who makes that sealing tape? Is it available at Home Depot or Lowe's? Love the "Honkin' on Bobo" DVD by Aerosmith. Thought it sounded pretty dam good. I'm listening to it on 4 JBL 4311 studio monitors + a couple of 210 VOTT cabinets crossed over at about 500 Hz - (tho I change the x-over points from time to time).

    Don't know if you like 'em, but the new Lynyrd Skynyrd DVD and AC/DC's "Live at Donnington" disc are impressive too. Every time I watch the Skynyrd disc, I keep wishing Ricky Medlocke would break out and do some of his old Blackfoot songs like "Train, train" or "Highway Song". Saw Blackfoot only one time many years ago when they opened for Ted at Cobo Arena. They rocked.

    c-ya.........

    Turn it up !


    Guy

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You might try the plumbing/heating section of Lowe's/Home Depot. The roll I have is pretty old and their is no brand name on it. If HD or Lowe's doesn't have it I would check a auto body shop or HVAC shop and see if they know of it. It's basically 2" wide with the rubber itself being about 3/16" thick. The paper is to keep it from sticking together. I Left the paper on. It has about the same consistancy as the electrical insulation tape. It's almost like uncured rubber. You can find that in varying widths and it's fairly spendy nowdays. After I covered the horns with the rubber I went back over them with duct tape to hold it all together. I'm sure it's not the absolute best way but I had the time and the tape so I gave it a shot forums

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron, I got to thinking (dangerous pursuit for me I know) if it sounds good in my truck then why not in the shop? I think maybe if I Turned the knob on the crossovers to max it might make it sound a little better. I think most of the difference is in the truck there is a lot more sound deadening available.
    I have a question thats been bugging me for some time. Why all of a sudden did someone discover speakers had to be elevated so high? Now we have those tall tower speakers that look like anorexic floor standers. Or worse yet those little speakers on those stupid looking stands. I realize that I'm out of touch with reality but those bookshelf speakers on those tall stands look about idiotic to me. On the other hand maybe floor standing speakers look dumb to the folks who like those things I mentioned.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I know that material. It's commonly used to seal outdoor electrical connections. We used it to seal the RF and electrical connections on the satelite dish we installed at work. I have no idea where we got it.
    Nice discovery Mike. The whole goal is to add mass to the outside of the horn.
    I've never heard Valencias, but I just bet that they would benefit from the later dual shelving crossovers. These allow you to turn down the mids and keep the highs. Much more adjustable than the crossovers you have.
    Unfortunately, you have 16 ohm drivers, and the later units all used 8's.
    Poke around Jeff Markwarts web site, I bet there is a circuit there that could be scaled to 16 ohms. If you are so inclined that is.
    I guess another option would be to slowly gather components from a model 19 and swap the whole mess into your cabs. Woofs, HF drivers and crossovers.
    I hate it when I buy an album of good music only to end up not liking the sound of the recording. I haven't heard that Aerosmith album. But have always been a big fan.
    Ron

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Mike,
    The reason that speakers became tall, and that mini monitors use stands, is to get the HF section at or near ear level. It also gets the woofer up off the floor, which helps to eliminate the LF bounce.
    When you get down to Portland and get to hear my setup, you will know what I mean.
    The imaging is largely a function of the HF. And when you hear my setup, you will hear that everything localizes very well. You don't hear the speakers, just a nice huge soundstage. Sort of like you are in the front row at an intimate club. It's pretty neat.
    My girlfriend sat down and listened to my 19's. She isn't a hi fi enthusiast at all. Her comment was...."I don't hear the speakers, I just hear the music....it's like I'm there".
    Me, I hear that too, but of course I also hear the imperfections....especially if the recording is not to good. We were listening to Ray Charles new one "Duets". Great music, but not well recorded. She liked it though!

    The more I listen to my 19's, the more I realize that they dissappear. They might not be dead on accurate.....but dang....they hook you! I need to go back and see how my duplexes compare......my audio memory is short. I wonder what might have caused my short term memory loss...... :-)

    You need to get the Valencias out of the shop and into your living room and set em up carefully, they will do the same thing. Trust me.
    Ron

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron, you mean replace my Yamaha Surround system with those 846A's? What a joke that is. I bought that as a pacifier and have been living with it ever since. I don't watch TV much so I'll survive. forums According to the real Boss.........The Valencias are not only too big, they're ugly and play too loud. So that is why they are out in the shop. My living room is 12x12 so with the big speakers in there I'd need to put cushions on them and use them for chairs forums At least in the shop I can listen to what I want, when I like.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Alrighty then..........

  9. #9
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi RonSS Yes they are not the most accurate but I know that the 19's sound better than the duplex's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.